a vestige of thought...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Facebook Relationships

I am not against the concept of Facebook. I think it's a great idea. It has helped me keep up with my friends from home, and the few who aren't on Facebook I feel I don't even know anymore. There are, however, aspects that I don't like. One of them is the relationship status listing. Right now I am listed as single. That's true, I am single. However, what if I just don't want that listed? I could remove it, but then it would be broadcasted to all my friends that "Christy Humason is no longer listed as single." That doesn't exactly say that I am not single, but it does raise questions. But even worse than that is when people list relationships that don't exist. For example, I know both Jane Doe and John Smith. Suddenly I see they have listed that they are in a relationship. Almighty Facebook says that they went bowling and met randomly in the library and are now dating. But are they? Facebook has taught the world to be skeptical (not necessarily a bad thing). Because it could be that Jane and John have just decided to make a funny joke. Ha ha. They look at their wall posts and laugh at any poor little soul who chooses to congratulate them. Then there are the instances where I know Jane or John, but not both. I think, 'Oh, Jane/John is in a relationship with someone from home.' Still, more often than not, this is also a falsehood. Curses! Why must you lie about your relationship status?! Why can't you just wait until you are actually in a relationship before listing yourself as such, if for no other reason than to avoid being the boy who cried wolf? I suppose that is not my problem. If no one believes you when you actually have found someone date-worthy, who am I to complain?
posted by Christy at 9:37 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home