a vestige of thought...

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Lessons from a Younger Me

It amazes me how sometimes I can go back and read my old journals and suddenly come across something that I wrote years ago and yet very much needed to hear today. Exempli gratia:

Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 2004

I learned something very valuable this Thanksgiving. I was flipping through the Psalms this evening, looking at all the verses that praised and thanked the Lord. It occurred to me while I was reading them that Psalmists rarely thanked God for material things. Instead, they praised Him for his love, forgiveness, salvation, grace, mercy, protection, and a host of other intangible, but nevertheless very important things. It made me realize how much I trivialize God's goodness. So this year, Jesus, while I am so grateful for the blessings of a heated home, a soft bed, a loving family, fuzzy slippers, my beautiful cat, and all my many other physical gifts from You, I thank you even more for your sacrifice that saved me from the consequences of my sin. Thank You for your mercy in not punishing me and your grace in giving me the many blessings in family, health, and materials that I enjoy. Lord, I will never understand the depth of your goodness to me... I pray that You will use me to ease the suffering of others. Give me a generous heart that will accurately reflect my generous God.

Please accept my humble offering of thanks.
posted by Christy at 11:38 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home