a vestige of thought...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Moundsday ("sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't")

I have been lax in my blogging recently. Shame on me.

My schedule yesterday went something like this (including commuting time):
~Orchestra 7:05-8:10
~Learning Tree 8:30-2:00
~Talked to Christina on the phone ('cause she was sick) 2:10-2:40 (making it my second longest phone conversation in recent memory)
~Musical rehearsal 3:00-5:45
~Wendy's with Brandae and Paula 5:45-6:20
~BAYSO 6:30-9:30

I can't even remember orchestra yesterday, so it must not have been very interesting. Learning Tree went surprisingly well. Scott and I were late because there was an accident on Ronald Reagan, but I still made it in time to finish my Latin quiz before the rest of the class was finished. Latin was fun, though Latin is always fun. In the 45ish minutes between my first two classes I drove to Panera because I forgot to make myself a lunch. I got a Greek salad and a Asiago Roast Beef sandwich and (would you believe it) a cup of coffee. Panera has somehow cohorted me into spending my hard-earned money on the stuff. It shall not be a common occurrence. I wanted a chai, but those are 3.29 (or something) and coffee was 1.50. I was going for cheap, non-carbonated caffeine.

I got back just in time for Economics. In its three weeks of existence the class has gone from 12 to 2 to 4 students. The class as it is now (myself, Justin, Andy, Jake, the teacher and a teacher's aide [because the four of us are such a handful])stands to be pretty amusing. Last week I won a two dollar bill. It went something like this:

Teacher: I have an amount of money in this sealed envelope. The four of you will have five minutes to discuss your strategy before writing down an amount of money on paper and handing it to me. The highest bidder will win the money in the envelope minus the sum they bid.
Jake: Let's all bid one cent and then split it.
Me: Why?
Jake: Because that's fair.
Me: I'd gladly go along with that if there was $20 in the envelope, but chances are we'd end up with a quarter apiece.
*more discussion following this train of thought*
Teacher: Ok, write your bids down on a piece of paper and hand them in.
*pause as students write on and hand in papers and the teacher looks them over*
I would like to add here that I had decided from the beginning what I was going to bid, even before we started discussing it.
*teacher laughs and hands me the envelope (there was a two dollar bill inside)*
Me: Ha!
Jake: I thought we agreed to all bid one cent!
Me: I never agreed to that. I bid fourteen cents.
Apparently the others hadn't agreed either. Justin and Andy both bid two cents.

[an aside here: Friday we ordered pizza at musical rehearsal and were asked to contribute 2-3 dollars depending on how much we would eat. I started to give Mr. Canter my $2 when Marilyn snatched it out of my hand and gave me two $1 bills. "It's a $2 bill! I've never seen one of these! Here" *hands it to Mr. Canter* "It's one of my life goals to spend one of those."]

Yesterday in Economics we got into a discussion about tax money for schools. Apparently my teacher doesn't think schools get enough. I brought up an article I'd read about a test that and 8th grader had to take to get into high school in 1922 (when the school received very little tax money) and how most high school seniors would probably fail it today (when schools have an abundance of tax money, even if they think it's not enough). The teacher pointed out that because technology had increased, much more money was needed for proper learning equipment and teaching aids. In other words, because kids' short attention spans are constantly being catered to by the media, the American public should have to pay for schools to capture their attention just as well. The aide then put in that "people are so different these days." I have beef with that too, but that's a topic for another time. I later realized the irony of discussing tax funding for schools in a homeschool class. I wish very much that I had realized this while in class! Homeschoolers get no tax money for their schooling, and yet they still manage to produce the highest test scores and such. I hate it when I come up with good arguments after the debate is over.

Literary Analysis, my final class of the day, went quickly. I always leave that class with an exhausted brain (which, I imagine, is a good thing!) No one in that class thinks about literature the same ways as anyone else and it makes for interesting conversation.

Pit (and musical in general) was bad on Sunday. Fortunately, it went SO much better yesterday. Three more rehearsals before show. Cross your fingers for us!

The Wendy's crew was originally going to be me, Brandae, Paula, Dan, Scott and a few others, but Scott wasn't home and Dan ditched us, so it because a girls' outing. I love those girls. We had fun (and we got Frosties with Butterfinger topping)!

I had to take the back roads to Ronald Reagan on my way to BAYSO because the light at Winton and Galbraith was out and traffic was all backed up. The street that I had to take was really steep and narrow and windy and DARK! I did not like it a bit. I drove extra slowly and probably didn't save any time by going that way instead of waiting at the light. Ah well.

And that was my Monday. The end.

I have discovered Widgets. They are excellent. More on that later, if I remember.
posted by Christy at 1:57 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home