a vestige of thought...

Saturday, July 29, 2006

#29 The Cross of Tau

My aunt is here to visit this week and yesterday my family all went over to my grandma's house to eat dinner and see her. She gave me a bracelet that my cousin, Deena, got for me on a trip she took to Europe. It is from Assisi and my aunt told me the cross, which is shaped like a T, is a Franciscan cross.



I looked up Franciscan Cross on Wikipedia and didn't find anything, but after doing some research, I came up with the following. The T-shaped cross is actually called the Tau cross, also known as St. Anthony's cross, the Egyptian cross, and crux commissa. St. Francis of Assisi used it as his signature.

It is possible that Christ died on a Tau cross, although the Latin cross, with the stem at the top, has become the common modern view.

And there is your history lesson for the evening. =)
posted by Christy at 11:00 PM

1 Comments:

My sister Sunny got me one of those when she went to Assissi. Mine is not as pretty as that one -- mine is a wooden cross with a brown string.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home