a vestige of thought...

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mysterious sounding wrist ailments...

I finally broke down today and saw a doctor about my wrist. This is mostly because Heidi, my violin teacher, told me she wouldn't give me a lesson unless I did. So I went to the doctor and he pushed and pulled and poked and prodded my wrist until I thought I might faint and then told me that [he believes] I have DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis. (Try saying that three times fast. I've yet to get all the way through it once.) If I understand correctly, this means that the tendons that connect my thumb to whatever they connect to (that's not in the 'leg bone's connected to the hip bone' song) and the membrane they slide through are irritated, which is what hurts. He gave me a bigger, more bulky brace than the last one I had. It holds my thumb immobile as well as my wrist. Unlike the last one, I can't hide this one in my hoodie pocket. Ach.

Fortunately for me, it's a rather mild case. Still, I can't play violin for at least two weeks. That means that I'm going to miss both the BAYSO and the Finneytown holiday concerts and I will be unable to play in church this week or next, as I was supposed to do. *sigh* Ah well.
posted by Christy at 7:38 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home