a vestige of thought...

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Still SIC?

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of compassion and the God of all comfort."

I am very grateful for the God of comfort mentioned in the verse above, but I am learning more and more that the God of comfort is not the God of being comfortable. Just think of all the people in the Bible that God called: Mary, Moses, Abraham, Job... the list goes on and on. Many of God's chosen were taken from a good situation and put in a difficult one. None of them, certainly, were immediately called into a better place, at least by the world's eyes.

I know that Andrea's suggestions (more than suggestions, really) for SIC this afternoon were not well-received by all. This is probably because they were not what we wanted, not what made us comfortable. But sometimes we need to be shaken up a little. When we're uncomfortable, we have to trust God (and not ourselves) with what's going to happen next. His will is more likely to be done that way.

It's pretty obvious to me that SIC in its current format is not working. I agree very much with Andrea when she says we need to get back to the basics, to scripture itself. It's not as if we will never again speak of our personal lives or be able to vent about whatever. I fear that our group was becoming too much a venting group, though, and often forgot to make God the center of it. You girls know I love you very, very much. I hope that these changes and transitions will not discourage any of you from taking part in the group. Change usually means that God is doing something. I hope that all of you will stick around to find out what it is.
posted by Christy at 10:15 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home