a vestige of thought...

Friday, November 18, 2005

Estis Pulchra!

There is a freshman girl in my Lit class, whom, for our purposes, we shall call Sarah. Nearly every week, Sarah makes some comment about how girls do this-or-that for this-or-the-other reason, and nearly always I am amazed at how clear her perception of herself (and all girls) is. Certainly I know the things she says are true, and always have known, but I would never think to put them in such a clear and simple way. I told her she should write a book about girls not only so that guys could understand us, but so that maybe I could understand myself.

A few weeks ago someone from another class was supposed to come take our picture for the Learning Tree yearbook, but no one showed up. After class, Sarah mentioned to me that she was glad no one came because she hadn't worn any make up that day and her face was "breaking out" (though if she hadn't stuck her forehead in my face, I never would have noticed). She then paused and said that really, she had eyeliner and mascara on, but "that doesn't count" as make up, for whatever reason. The whole time she seemed so insecure. I wanted to show her a picture of herself (as I have felt with so many girls) and say, "Look! Look at how beautiful you are! You don't need make up or sexy clothes or fancy jewelery. You are amazingly beautiful!"
Why is it that so many people, girls especially, can see beauty in everyone but themselves? If there is one message I want to live out it's this: You are beautiful! Stop comparing yourself to others. Stop trying to make your outside perfect by covering up who God made you to be! Don't neglect your appearance, certainly, but there is more to you than your outer shell! Stop faking it and concentrate on being genuinely you. You are already beautiful. Show it in your confidence and your character!

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self..."
1 Peter 3:3-4a

**I apologize if that was a bit preachy. This is something I feel quite strongly about!
posted by Christy at 10:01 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home