a vestige of thought...

Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break, part deux

This morning we woke up at the ungodly (for spring break) hour of 7:30 in the morning, dressed in many layers, and loaded up Courtney's car for the hour and a half drive to Mystic, CT (most famous as a fishing port from a long time ago and/or the setting of the movie Mystic Pizza). Upon arriving, we spent most of the day at the Mystic Seaport museum (mostly closed for the winter, but with enough stuff open to be fun). The museum had a bunch of ships and houses and such that were intended to recreate a 19th century seaport village. (See photos below.) For lunch we attempted to eat at the little cafe at the seaport but were told that the clam chowder was still frozen and that if we wanted some she could put it in the microwave. Uh-huh. Instead we walked 10 minutes to downtown Mystic and ate at a wonderful restaurant which, I believe, was called The Riverfront (although I'm pretty sure that big body of water we saw was not a river...)


Welcome to Mystic Seaport


This is Heather being seaweed caught in the anchor...


I think I was born to be a sailor


Courtney overboard!


There are no words...


A whaling ship


Us in the bowels of the whaling ship.


"Is this where they put all the bad kids?"
posted by Christy at 7:47 PM

2 Comments:

No way!...Brooke and I LOVE Mystic! It's a great little seaport town, isn't it?

I remember touring the 'Charles W Morgan' ship and they had an ongoing reading of Moby Dick. It was pretty amazing.

Did you see the Shipyard where they were working on rebuilding the boats? That was the building I used for my Senior Thesis. Cool, huh?

Glad to hear you're getting out and exploring the countryside:)

6:44 PM  

Your posts are so descriptive I feel like I was actually there.

....oh wait, I was! HA!

The word verification for this entry is "vmooo." Say it out loud.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home