a vestige of thought...

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

So This Is The New Year

It seems to be a common thing to bemoan New Year's Eve on one's blog as a dumb holiday. There was a time when I love New Year's Eve. Sure, I appreciated the irony of the holiday: we stay up until midnight so that we can watch a big shiny ball slide down a pole? Who came up with that anyway? I used to get together with all my friends and we would spend the evening watching TV, playing games, eating food and doing whatever else we felt like. That was fun. This year nearly all of my high school friends were out of town and I am hours and hours away (in traveling distance and time zones) from all of my college friends, so I stayed up with my dad and my sister to watch Pixar movies and see the ball drop. It was fun, but rather anticlimactic. Ah well.

However, New Year's Day--at least this year--has been quite enjoyable. I have the day off work, so I woke up at about 9:45 (that's the first time I've slept in all break) and have spent the rest of the day watching either the Rose Parade or some college bowl game or another. I sat on the couch with my dad, watching Michigan play Florida (which was a much better game than Illinois vs USC is so far), researching NFL history, drinking tea, and enjoying the lovely snow which has decided to fall on Cincinnati this first day of 2008. It's not Colorado snow or anything, but it's more than I've seen in a long time.

I plan to spend the rest of the evening in pretty much the same way, trying not to think about the eight hours at Chick-Fil-A that await me tomorrow. I suppose I'm grateful in a way that I have to work, because I doubt I would enjoy this sitting around half as much if it's all I had to do all break.

Happy New Year!
posted by Christy at 11:54 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home