a vestige of thought...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Dear Anonymous Sponsor,

The curiosity is killing me. It's not your identity (though I'm interested in that too) as much as the amount you donated. Why $14.64? Is there significance in that number? Is is supposed to mean something to me? Was that the amount of change you had in a piggy bank somewhere? Are you from another country where an even amount of your currency is equal to $14.64 USD? I admit, I looked up the equivalences in a few common currencies, but to no avail.

It could be .61/hr rather than a lump sum of 14.64, but that doesn't tell me much.

Perhaps it has something to do with the factors or common multiples of 14.64. Factors of 14 are 1, 2, 7, and 14. Factors of 64 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. Factors of 1,464 include 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24, 61, 122, 183, 244, 366, 488, 732,& 1,464. Fourteen is a pyramidal number, meaning that it is the sum consecutive square numbers (in this case 1, 4, & 9). Sixty-four is 2 to the 6th power. This still does not help me.

If it were me, I would done something like $14.06, which is my favorite number and the year I graduated or $14.87, for my favorite number and the year I was born. It is possible, I suppose, that someone knew 14 to be my favorite number, or for them to claim 14 as a favorite as well. I probably know people who graduated in '64 as well as people born in '64, but none are known to me for certain. I am at a loss.

Or maybe you just like random numbers and my musings are completely futile.

So, dear anonymous friend, thank you for your donation and your food for thought. You are lucky enough to have gotten, for only $14.64, an extra reason to laugh at me. Enjoy!

Chao,
Christy

P.S. If you ever want to reveal your identity, I won't tell. ;)
posted by Christy at 3:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home