a vestige of thought...

Monday, August 14, 2006

L is for Legacy and for Laura is cool because she took me to visit Miami

I went to my last Experience last night. It was a bit sad because it was my last one, but at the same time exciting because it's so neat to see what God is doing there. I spent the candle/prayer time remembering all the amazing times I've had in that upper room and how the people who have been there have made such an impact on me. I left hoping that my presence there over the past four years has made some sort of a difference as well. That maybe Cafe has changed for the better since I started leading it two years ago or that people felt welcomed and loved there in part because of my efforts. When I turned on the radio in my car, Legacy, by Nichole Nordeman was playing. Very appropriate:

I want to leave a legacy,
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to you enough
To leave a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering.
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed your name
Unapologetically...
Leave that kind of legacy.


* * * * *

Yesterday afternoon Laura drove up to Miami with her mom and Mombers (her grandma) and she invited me to come along to see the campus. It was fun to see where so many of my friends are going to spend the next four years. On the road there, Laura pointed out the ridiculous number of black and neon signs for a large variety of things. One heck of a good neon sign salesman must have traveled that road.

Upon arrival we ate at the Bagel and Deli, a small hole-in-the-wall sort of place which, like most successful hole-in-the-wall business, has amazing food. You can make up any sandwich you want, or choose from the already created combinations listed on (quite creative) homemade signs around the shop. I had a "Messy Katie," which consists of cream cheese, turkey, cheddar cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and sprouts toasted on a bialy bagel (except I had mine on pumpernickel because they were out of bialy). It was excellent.

Then we drove around the campus. I have to admit, driving around campus is a bit funny to me. I've become so used to Asbury (where driving from a dorm to an academic building would be a bit silly) that Miami seems huge. But I'm happy that now I will be able to imagine the dorms where Laura and Brittany and Brandae will be living and their dining halls and classrooms and such. I like having a mental image.

* * * * *

I think I'll be a good girl and go practice violin for a little while now. My first orchestra class is Tuesday and it could be interesting. I haven't practiced in awhile...
posted by Christy at 6:05 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home