a vestige of thought...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Of nothing in particular...

I spent about an hour today chasing my Latin book across town. Actually, the book didn't move, so I guess I was more seeking it than chasing it. My dear mother accidentally "returned" it to the library, except that it was not a return, for it did not belong to the library. So I had to call several different branches and then, once I located it, drive to get it. But there were no parking spots in the library's lot, so I had to park on the other side of the block and walk. (I didn't mind the walk, though, for it was quite nice outside today.) By the time I got home I hardly felt like studying Latin (but I did anyway.)

Mom bought a whole slew of salad dressings today and, as I ate my salad with dinner, I noticed that not one of them had the little flow-control cap that most all of them used to have. Do the salad dressing manufacturers think that we have become more talented dressing pourers? Mom says it's probably a cost-cutting measure. The author of The Little Prince would say that that is one of the boring, sensible explanations that grown-ups would come up with. The Little Prince himself might rather say that a very shaky-handed race from another planet needed them more than we Earth-humans do, and so the took them, or that a colony of moles had discovered the circular caps in the factory and was not stealing them before they could be put in the salad dressing bottles and using them for wheels on their mining carts. I, by the way, highly recommend The Little Prince to all those who have or who are in danger of becoming too grown up. I read it in about 45 minutes last night (yes, while I should have been sleeping). Read the old (Katherine Woods) translation, if you can get your hands on it. It's much more poetic.

Laura: I started a list, but it was a bad list, so I deleted it. I think I'm not that smart. At least, I'm not that smart on this little sleep. :)

We have a name! SIC is now P1^4, as in "P one to the fourth" or "p one four" or any other variation you come up with. That is short for Psalm 111:1, which says "Praise the Lord! I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people."

It makes me so angry when people hurt my friends! Grr! It makes me want to go beat them up. Except that, of course, I'm much smaller and weaker than most of the people I'd try to fight. So perhaps I'll just write spitefully about them in my journal instead.

"What does that mean- 'tame'?"
"It means to establish ties."
"'To establish ties'?"
"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you would tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you would be unique in all the world..."
"I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower... I think she that she has tamed me..."

191. children's literature
192. days of beautiful weather in the middle of January
193. freshly-washed bedsheets
194. P1^4
195. my wood pen
196. ellipses...
197. dictionary.com

Six-thirty comes even earlier on the second day...
posted by Christy at 9:33 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home