a vestige of thought...

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hootenanny!

I love this time of year. Autumn is fantastic. The leaves turn pretty colors, the air is cool and pleasant, and all the annoying bugs die. I also love this time of year because it brings about the annual Hootenanny Down on the Farm. This year about 65(!) high school students piled into various cars and vans and drove down (over, really) to the Glasgo's farm for dinner, cornhole, flag football, and a big bonfire. There were even fireworks this year. It was great.

Ever wise Caitlin says:
"Do you ever think it's weird that you can't look at yourself without a mirror? I mean, wouldn't it make sense for you to be able to pop your eyeballs out of your head and turn them around so you could see yourself? But I guess then you'd only ever see yourself without eyes... That might be gross."

It always amazes me how Bible verses will suddenly pop into my head at appropriate moments, even if I didn't know that I had them memorized. Tonight I lay on my back and looked up at the stars for a long time, and this verse came to mind: "Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing (Isaiah 40:26)." What an amazing God we serve. He's bigger than all my hidden agendas and all my selfishness and all my stuff. Wow.
posted by Christy at 11:45 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home